Heart attacks are serious and need quick medical emergencies that require immediate attention. If you are searching for the best primary angioplasty in Chennai, then MK Heart Clinic is the best. Nowadays, primary angioplasty has become a popular alternative to thrombolysis as a way to restore blood flow to the heart.
In this blog, we will introduce you to primary angioplasty, explain how it differs from other treatments for heart attacks, and discuss the benefits and risks associated with this procedure.
What is Primary Angioplasty?
Primary angioplasty is a procedure used to treat heart attacks. It involves using a catheter to open the blocked coronary artery and restore blood flow to the heart.
When one needs primary angioplasty in Chennai at MK Heart Clinic, Dr. M. Kathiresan, an expert interventional cardiologist performs it very well by using a stent, a small mesh-like device, which is often placed in the blocked artery to keep it open. The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia and usually takes less than an hour to complete.
Primary coronary angioplasty is recommended for patients who are experiencing a heart attack and have a blocked coronary artery that is not responsive to thrombolysis. The procedure is performed as soon as possible after the onset of symptoms to minimise heart damage and improve the chances of a full recovery.
Differences between Primary Angioplasty and Other Treatments for Heart Attacks
Primary coronary angioplasty differs from thrombolysis as it physically opens the blocked coronary artery, rather than dissolving the blood clot. This means that blood flow is restored more quickly and with less risk of complications. Another advantage of primary angioplasty over thrombolysis is that it can be performed on patients who have a higher risk of bleeding, such as those who are taking blood thinners.
Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) is another option for treating heart attacks. However, CABG is a major surgical procedure that requires a hospital stay of several days. Unlike primary angioplasty in Chennai, CABG is performed on patients with more extensive heart damage and requires a longer recovery time.
Benefits of Primary Angioplasty in Chennai
At MK Heart Clinic, when an individual needs primary angioplasty in Chennai, they can avail numerous advantages compared to alternative treatments for heart attacks. The most significant benefit is improved blood flow to the heart, which minimises heart damage and reduces the risk of complications.
Another advantage of primary angioplasty is a faster recovery time, with many patients returning to normal activities within a few days. In addition, primary angioplasty has been shown to have better long-term outcomes compared to thrombolysis.
Risks and Complications of Primary Angioplasty
Like any medical procedure, when one comes for primary angioplasty in Chennai here at MK heart clinic, they should also be aware of its risks. The most common complications include bleeding, infection, restenosis (re-narrowing of the artery), and blood clot formation. However, these risks are generally small and are outweighed by the benefits of the procedure.
Precautions to be Followed
After undergoing primary angioplasty in Chennai, it’s essential to take specific precautions to ensure a smooth recovery and minimise the risk of complications. Here are some important precautions to follow:
- Follow your healthcare provider’s instructions regarding medications meticulously. This often includes antiplatelet drugs (such as aspirin and clopidogrel) to prevent blood clots, beta-blockers to control heart rate, and statins to manage cholesterol levels.
- Adopt a heart-healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and low-fat dairy. Limit your intake of saturated and trans fats, salt, and added sugars. A balanced diet can help manage your weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of future heart problems.
- Gradually ease into a structured exercise routine, as advised by your healthcare provider. Regular physical activity after primary coronary angioplasty helps improve cardiovascular fitness, maintain a healthy weight, and enhance overall well-being.
- If you smoke, quitting is crucial. Smoking significantly increases the risk of heart disease and hampers the effectiveness of angioplasty. Seek support from healthcare professionals to quit this habit successfully.
- Maintain a healthy weight with a balanced diet and regular exercise. Excess weight puts additional strain on the heart and increases the risk of cardiovascular complications.
- Practice stress-reduction techniques like yoga, meditation, deep breathing, or engaging in hobbies you enjoy. Chronic stress can negatively impact heart health, so finding healthy ways to manage stress is essential.
- Attend all scheduled follow-up appointments with your cardiologist. These appointments help monitor your recovery progress, adjust medications if necessary, and detect any potential issues early on.
To conclude, primary angioplasty in Chennai is a safe and effective treatment when it is performed at the best clinic like the MK Heart Clinic. It offers several advantages over thrombolysis and CABG, including improved blood flow to the heart, reduced risk of heart damage, and a faster recovery time. With prompt treatment, the chances of a full recovery are greatly improved.