Conventional bypass surgery in Chennai refers to a traditional surgical procedure used to treat coronary artery disease. During this surgery, a surgeon creates a graft to reroute blood around blocked or narrowed arteries in the heart. Chennai is a prominent medical hub in India, offering advanced cardiac care services, including this procedure.
What is Conventional Bypass Surgery?
Conventional Bypass Surgery in Chennai, also known as Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG), is a surgical procedure performed to treat severe coronary artery disease. Coronary artery disease occurs when the blood vessels (coronary arteries) that supply blood to the heart muscle become narrowed or blocked by the buildup of plaque, which is a mixture of cholesterol, fat, and other substances.
This narrowing or blockage can reduce blood flow to the heart and lead to chest pain (angina) or, in severe cases, result in a heart attack.
Cause of Conventional Bypass Surgery
The primary cause for undergoing conventional bypass surgery, also known as coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), is the presence of severe coronary artery disease. Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a condition in which the arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle become narrowed or blocked due to the accumulation of plaque (atherosclerosis).
This narrowing or blockage can lead to a range of heart-related problems and symptoms, ultimately necessitating bypass surgery. In the healthcare capital of India, Chennai, where world-class medical facilities and skilled cardiac surgeons excel, individuals with CAD can find a lifeline through Conventional Bypass Surgery in Chennai.
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD): The most common cause of conventional bypass surgery is CAD, which is a progressive condition. Over time, cholesterol and other substances accumulate in the inner lining of the coronary arteries, forming plaques. These plaques can restrict or block blood flow to the heart muscle. As CAD advances, it can lead to angina (chest pain), shortness of breath, and in severe cases, heart attacks.
- Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction): A heart attack occurs when a coronary artery becomes completely blocked, cutting off blood supply to a portion of the heart muscle. In some cases, bypass surgery may be performed to restore blood flow to the affected area and prevent further damage to the heart.
Who is the Right Doctor for Conventional Bypass Surgery?
Dr. M. Kathiresan is the right doctor for conventional bypass surgery in Chennai, given his exceptional expertise and experience in cardiac surgery. Dr. Kathiresan is a trusted name in the field of cardiovascular interventions. His extensive knowledge and dedication to providing high-quality care make him the ideal choice for those seeking the best possible outcome in conventional bypass surgery.
Treatment for Conventional Bypass Surgery in Chennai
The treatment for Conventional Bypass Surgery in Chennai, also known as coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), is a well-established and structured medical procedure. It is typically recommended for individuals with severe coronary artery disease or other heart-related issues.
- Pre-operative Assessment: Before the surgery, patients undergo a comprehensive pre-operative assessment. This includes a thorough review of their medical history, physical examinations, and various diagnostic tests. These tests, such as angiography, help determine the location and severity of coronary artery blockages.
- Anaesthesia and Incision: On the day of the surgery, the patient is placed under general anaesthesia to ensure they remain unconscious and pain-free throughout the procedure. The cardiac surgeon makes an incision, usually down the centre of the chest, to access the heart.
- Use of Heart-Lung Machine: The heart-lung machine takes over the heart’s pumping function, allowing the surgeon to work on the heart without it beating. This provides a bloodless and motionless field for precise grafting.
Benefits of Conventional Bypass Surgery
Conventional bypass surgery in Chennai, also known as coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), offers a range of significant benefits to individuals suffering from coronary artery disease and other related heart conditions.
- Restoration of Blood Flow: The primary objective of CABG is to restore proper blood flow to the heart muscle by bypassing blocked or narrowed coronary arteries. This alleviates angina (chest pain) and reduces the risk of heart attacks, improving overall heart health.
- Symptom Relief: Patients often experience a dramatic reduction in symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, and fatigue, leading to an improved quality of life and increased energy levels.
- Long-Term Efficacy: Conventional bypass surgery has a high long-term success rate. The grafts created during the surgery can last for many years, providing enduring relief from coronary artery disease symptoms.
Risks of Conventional Bypass Surgery
While conventional bypass surgery in Chennai, also known as coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), is a life-saving procedure, it does come with certain risks, as do all surgical interventions. It’s important for patients and their healthcare providers to carefully consider these potential risks before proceeding with the surgery. Some of the common risks associated with conventional bypass surgery include:
- Infection: Infection at the incision sites is a danger with any surgical operation. This risk is typically managed with strict aseptic techniques in the operating room and post-operative care.
- Bleeding: While efforts are made to minimize bleeding during surgery, there is still a risk of bleeding both during and after the procedure. Patients may require blood transfusions in rare cases.
- Blood Clots: The use of a heart-lung machine during surgery can increase the risk of blood clot formation. Blood-thinning medications are often prescribed to reduce this risk.
conventional bypass surgery in Chennai, also known as coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), is a vital and highly effective procedure for individuals grappling with severe coronary artery disease. This life-saving surgery not only alleviates symptoms but also reduces the risk of heart-related complications, ultimately enhancing the patient’s quality of life. In Chennai, a city celebrated for its world-class healthcare facilities and skilled cardiac surgeons like Dr. M. Kathiresan, patients have access to top-tier care.